Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Come and meet the Letter People

WSET-TV, my local low-production quality news source, had a segment on the Ex-Gay movement last night. I listened to the amazingly anti-charismatic Jerry Falwell Jr. speak about stuff he knows nothing about. Luckily the topic was about homosexuality otherwise I would've fallen asleep right there on the elliptical machine he's that boring. They interviewed others in the Walters/King softball style of questioning. The whole segment went essentially like this: "Blah, blah, blah... gays can change. Blah, blah, blah...no they can't."

This lack of journalistic integrity infuriated me. In the crowded Jamerson YMCA I gave the TV the tallest finger salute twice and said "stupid mother fucking fuckers". That got the attention of my fellow sweathogs.

So I went to wset.com to see what kind of comments were being posted by my fellow free-thinking intelligent citizens. I've never seen so many scriptural references being lobbed back and forth in my life. It was like Sunday School with weaponry. Someone needed to stop the dogma war and I politely stepped in with this little post:

We live in a country where freedom of religion means that anyone can believe whatever and worship whomever they choose. And that is wonderful! Do whatever you wish in the name of your religion unless you harm others. When what you believe becomes detrimental or actively hurts people, no matter how willing they might be, society has a duty to step in and protect them.

Many people are commenting here with scriptural references to back up what they believe but you are arguing the wrong thing. Believe whatever you want. Interpret your holy books however you want. That's not the real problem here. Convince me that you are doing no psychological harm to these individuals. That's all I care about. I'll never convince you that gays can be made straight and you will never convince me otherwise. Just assure me that you are not harming these people. And remember, I don't share the same religion as you so quoting the bible, no matter how accurate, is not going make a good argument.

Holy Mother Loving Roller Skating Jebus. Never has the lack of an 'T made such a difference. I'm off to brush up on my Tall Teeth.

2 comments:

Craig said...

stupid mother fucking fuckers

Its not just Virginia.

So I went to wset.com to see what kind of comments were being posted by my fellow free-thinking intelligent citizens. I've never seen so many scriptural references being lobbed back and forth in my life.

I find it... interesting to read a lot of the comments made about on on online newspapers in Utah. The incredible pretentiousness of the assumptions made by so many of the readers as well as their self-righteous religio-babble is a source of both constant amusement and uncontrolled swearing.

Anonymous said...

porta dissect loosening buddy researchs assumes smos asimportant radically inquisitive disputes
lolikneri havaqatsu